Montag, 25. März 2013

Stories from the Classroom

My lectures started now already three weeks ago and in another three weeks my midterm exams are running by (ahhhh)... 
The classes theirselves remind me much more of a highschool, than actually a university, even if the topics for example in economics are completly the same than in a german course, i've taken before, it is just much easier explained and the professor talks for ages about one part, until everybody gets the point.
Because I am german, one of my professors thinks I know everything, I have about everything an opinion and absolutly want to share it with my classmates. Ah well... No, thanks. Still I'm getting asked every single lesson, what I think about this and that and whatever. Last time I tried to rescue me in a coughing attack, but my prof just waited until I can nearly breath again, so I can tell the others about my glorious thoughts. 
Another special person in relation to this is my political science professor. As far as I know he spent some time in Germany or "can" at least speak some German. So also nearly in every lecture he tries to impress me and the class with his german skills, writing any random words related to politics on the board and asks me to translate, explain, interpret or correct it. Korean friends told me, they don't critize teachers...sorry, I still correct writing mistakes, infront of everyone :-P
So who else is there... Ah yea, economics... I guess the professor is not bad at all, sharing stories of her horrible singing skills, scaring of the neighbors and what relation this has to economics. The only problem...her english sucks. She spent 13 years in the US and sometimes I am still not even sure if she is speaking korean or english right  now.
Because I am a regular freshman here, I have to participate like everybody else from my korean classmates in some obligatory courses, unrelated to my major. Including a Freshman seminar, completly in Korean. Do I speak korean? Eh.. okay let's skip this question. 
By the way, I am taking part now in a korean class with such an enthusiastic teacher, I would have loved to have in a highschool language class. She offers us to come earlier in the morning and staying longer afterwards, giving compliments and talks in korean as much as possible. Also her little daughter tries to entertain us, when she thinks our brain needs a break (or she just wants to go home), pulling down the shirt of her mum, giving out a view of her underwear... Oh there were suddenly so many interessting things in the classroom to look at, like the door, the table or the light on the ceiling.

Just one more thing about the classes: Homework, reading, reading, reading, studying... I really have never studied as much as in Korea, spending parts of the weekends in the library. I still can't believe it, that I am really lookin in my books so often. Dear Highschool teachers of me: You see, if I want I CAN study, it was just that your lessons were totally boring and it was more interesting to go out with friends, travelling through germany and making party at concerts.

Totallly scared of the Midterm exams, Hwaiting!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen